Thursday, June 02, 2022

Sunshine and Shadow

Sunshine and Shadow, a scrap quilt made from family clothing and sewing projects, 72" x 64"

Made in 1987 and then mended in 2021 by replacing worn patches with new fabrics, some of them velvet. 

The original backing was pink cotton, almost all the quilting stitches had worn away but not the cloth.  In the spring of 2021, I finished the mending of this quilt by beginning from the outside edge and going around the rectangle working my way towards the middle with a running stitch and big thread.     
The above photo is closer to the  original quilt, but there have been quite a few replacements already.  I'll try to find an earlier photo.  The quilt was much loved by my father since 1993.  I think that it took me nearly 10 years to piece (1977- 1987) by machine.  I recognize the floral skirts I used to wear in the 70's.   

A forgotten quilt, it is just getting into the list now.  

109        1987   mended 2021
 

No comments: