Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Cooper Cup


















The Cooper Cup

Dr. Stephen Cooper commissioned a quilt from me that would be awarded as a prize for a sailing race held annually in the North Channel.  

He told me on the phone that he loved seeing a mass of white sails against the blue sky and water.  Hearing him say that poetic description made me say yes to creating a small quilt for him.   

It took me two attempts to create something that I was pleased with myself. 




































This is the best photo that I have.

The Cooper Cup
shibori dyed cotton, machine pieced and hand quilted with embroidery floss using chain stitch embroidery.

As the years went along, the idea was to record the winners of the race through photo transfer on the back of the quilt.  I'm not sure what happened to that idea - but we did get as far as 2006 winners.


 
number 4
Completed in 2006

No comments: