Saturday, September 22, 2018

Bidwell

Bidwell
completed in 2017 for the solo exhibition at the David Kaye gallery in Toronto
I was so pleased to be asked to show at David's gallery.  He exhibits the most important of Canadian fine craft artists.  Dorothy Caldwell and Sandra Brownlee show in his gallery.  Barbara Klunder does too.
I made the murmuration of French knots without knowing how I would use it.
I saw blackbirds flying over me as I drove my gravel country road on Manitoulin.
They looked like moving cross stitches to me, in the sky.
The rest of the quilt came together from a reverse applique sampler I had made when my grandson was born in 2009, and some earth coloured linen, and some white space.

The white space is important in this piece.
It is emptiness.
I put loops and swirls of wind into the white space, but it is still emptiness.
cotton, hand embroidered, hand pieced, hand reverse applique, hand quilted, 66.5 x 63"  2017

number 106 

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Gosh this is beautiful Judy.